Housing Benefit Applications

Many people are eligible for Housing Benefit which can help with the cost of your rent.  When applying for Housing Benefit, the Local Authority/Council you are applying to will require information about you and your partner, if applicable.  The level of evidence you need to provide depends on your income and circumstances.  Read on for more information about the evidence you may be asked to provide.


What kind of evidence will you be asked for?

You may be asked for the following evidence to support your application:

  • Proof of identity
  • National Insurance number
  • Address
  • Rent level
  • Proof of income
  • Savings and investments (you may still qualify even if you have savings)
  • Occupational pension
  • Circumstances of any other people who live with you


Don't delay

Please do not delay in applying for benefits whilst waiting for any of the information listed above.  If you need to send documents to support your Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit application you can do this by going online to your local Council's website which will give you the appropriate contact information should you need to call, email or visit their office.

When sending documents, please make sure you also provide the following information:

  • Your name and postal address
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Your contact telephone number
  • Your email address (where possible)


Stopwatch ticking

One month timescale

Please ensure all information is submitted within one month of your Housing Benefit application being made.

If not submitted within this time, your application will be closed and you will need to re-apply.  This may cause rent arrears.